SHARPENING YOUR WRITING SKILLS.

SHARPENING YOUR WRITING SKILLS.

Have you read anything about talents? Talent is natural ability you have to do certain things well.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary put it like this,

1. special often athletic, creative, or artistic aptitude

2. general intelligence or mental power

3. the natural endowments of a person.

Is this not interesting? Yes, it is. Unfortunately, talent is never enough in anything, not even when it comes to writing. It is a great talent for me to write about anything, but I learned and developed the ability to put them all together.

It is a talent for me to be a creative writer, but I learned through process to understand that not everything creative I write will interest my readers. Furthermore, it is one thing to have what to write, it is another to choose the wrong audience target. 

When I was to wtlrite for a publishing firm, they were very specific about what they wanted. I understood straight that they are more interested building icons in every potential writer who read on their blog and to bring out the best version out of them.

They know their readers and their readers know them well. Hence, there are not willing to trade that integrity for anything else. So, talent is never enough, there's more to learn to be a good writer. If you're a writer, and you want to sharpen your skills more, then this article is for you.

HOW BEST CAN YOU SHARPEN YOUR SKILLS IN WRITING?

1. ALWAYS KEEP A JOURNAL.

A good writer should not run out of ideas. If you're truly a writer, then expect ideas any time. I most time have ideas when I am in the bathroom. Trust me, I keep my journal with me at every point. It is either I leave the bathroom to put it down or that idea may never come revisiting.

If you keep that attitude, I can guarantee you that your senses will get used to it. It will keep coming because you always respond to it.

One of the best ways to sharpen your writing skills is to always respond to those ideas when they are popping up. Hence, you will never run out of ideas to ever write at any point.


2. DON'T LOOK BUT SEE.

This still boils down to ideas. Why this is important is because you cannot afford to run out of ideas. As a writer, you will always come across what to write about every day. It's about seeing, not looking around.

Don't look but see. If you look around you, everything is normal to what others are looking at, but if you see, then you are looking at what others can't see. That makes you an exceptional writer. This will be easier for you if you can always redefine everything you see around you, good or bad.


3. SUCK READERS IN.

You must understand that in every writing skill, you must own the power to carry your readers along. I find it difficult to read any article or book that can't get me drown into it. My reading of any article is about the first 30 secs, and book is about first 15 mins before I lose all interest. 

It gives me understanding about whom the author could be and how great he or she could write. My time is very precious, I won't waste it on anything that doesn't deserve it. The same is with many readers out there. They would rather not waste their time reading.

a. Be so sure you understand what you're to write about.

b. Paint the picture of your writing into the readers' mind as if they are part of it.

c. Be sure you know it is of their interest. This is why it is better to have a blog for writing than a website. A blog gets you closer with your readers, and you engage them as if you are in the same apartment altogether.


4. BETTER SERENE, BETTER SENSE

If you want to write good, you need to think good. If you have to think good, then you need a good serene for yourself. Distraction can ruin good writing because it opens the windows for ideas and better use of words to fly out.


The problem is that, when an idea is lost, you may never gain them back. The very day you will realize it, it will be when you see someone using that idea that you once lost.

5. MAKE THE BEST IMPRESSION.

They say, first impression last longer. You must always write to leave an impression in the mind of your readers. You must make them want to come back and read again.

This is best done by managing your words well. I mean using your words constructively well. It's not about vocabularies, but good expressions. In the very language you write, understand it well and develop it daily.

The language you use to write is the power you have to communicate with your readers, if they speak the same language you speak, then make something exceptional about yours that will always reflect in what you write. That is, form the habit of learning new skills. 

You can leave your comment in comment section. 

Comments

POPULAR POSTS